"This is an active ongoing investigation" Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said at an afternoon press conference Friday, updating the assembled media about the state of the investigation into the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Vance confirmed the death toll: 20 children, 6 adults, including the shooter, and one adult victim at a "secondary scene" in Connecticut.
But in response to multiple questions from press, Vance said at one point: "There are a lot of things we cannot confirm."
He did offer the beginning of a basic timeline, saying the first call came in at around 9:30 a.m.
"Officers immediately entered the school to search for students, faculty and staff and remove them," he said. "They did search every nook and cranny...Those who were rescued were taken to a staging area."
The school is now secure. Two rooms of the school appeared to be the gunman's focus.
"It is not a simplistic scene," Vance said. "We will be here through the night and through the weekend. We are not putting a time stamp on this process."
The secondary local crime scene may well be this investigation in the Sandy Hook section, the only other known center of police investigation in Newtown right now.
Vance is expected to give another update in about an hour.
Update: 3:38 p.m.
Patch exclusive: The man identified in media reports Friday as the shooter has told friends that he thinks his developmentally disabled brother may have committed the crime, Patch has learned.
A close friend of Ryan Lanza who would not be identified told Patch that he spoke to Lanza as Lanza made his way home from work to Hoboken. Lanza also took to his Facebook page to rail against CNN naming him as the suspect in the shooting in Newtown, Conn.
“I’m on the bus home now, it wasn’t me,” Lanza wrote.
Lanza’s mother, Nancy, a school teacher, is believed to be among the dead.
Patch was among the media outlets to highlight and link to reports naming Ryan Lanza as the alleged shooter. Police haven't yet officially confirmed the identity of the gunman.
As officials in Newtown continue to reunite parents with their children in the wake of a shocking shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, news outlets are reporting that some 18 children have been killed among some 27 reported dead.
First Selectman Pat Llodra told Patch that there is no information being released about the victims — only confirming that there was a shooting.
"I'm horrified, saddened and shocked that this happened in Newtown," Llodra said. "Our priorities right now are making sure everyone safe and reuniting parents with their children."
A reverse 911 call went out to all Newtown public school parents, NBC is reporting. Parents are converging all around the school seeking information about their children.
Christine Wilford, a parent of a seven-year-old boy at the school, told Patch that her son was out of the school and safe with her husband. A woman standing next to Wilford burst into tears, saying her own son was still inside.
Danbury Hospital has confirmed to TV reporters that three patients have been transported by ambulance.
The Courant is reporting multiple injured parties, saying a shooter had been in the building’s main office and an individual in one area had “numerous gunshot wounds,” police said.
Scores of ambulances and fire trucks from throughout this normally sleepy area in southwestern Connecticut are on scene at the school now.
As of 10:50 a.m., reports from the scene say that a triage staging area has been set up less than .5 miles from the school.
Newtown Patch will post more information here as it becomes available.