1. What's the Weather? Sunny, with a high near 80. Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 59. Courtesy of the National Weather Service.
2. Engine One Goes to the Highest Bidder The Durham Volunteer Fire Department (through the town) is auctioning off Engine One. That's right, you can buy this rather large piece of town history! The auction starts at 10 a.m. this morning and ends July 11. The yellow fire truck has served the town and nearby communities for 25 years. Here's the tale of the tape:
Make: FMC Fire Apparatus
Chassis: Ford C-8000
Motor: Cat 3208 – 250 hp Turbo
Transmission: Allison Automatic Transmission
Pump: Hale 1250 GPM Pump
Pump Hours: 409.2
Engine Hours – 1789.0
Capacity: 500 gallons
Condition: Good to Excellent
3,000 ft Angus 5” Hi-Volume LDH supply hose
6” Camlock Suction Hose
Other miscellaneous fittings.
Comments: Apparatus was purchased new in 1987 from FMC Fire Apparatus. Unit has served the Town of Durham, Connecticut and its surrounding Mutual Aid communities for twenty five years.
For more information: Chief Robert Chadd phone: 860-342- 8777 email: email@example.com
3. Gillette, His Castle and the Ner-A-Car Linda Halliday of Killingworth emailed Patch this week to let us know that her husband's 1922 Ner-A-Car has been loaned to Gillette Castle for the season.
"William Gillette owned a 1924 Neracar and there is a picture of him on it in one of the upper rooms," she said.
Admission to the visitor center is FREE.
4. Flags for Sale Celebrate the 4th of July in style by purchasing a U.S. Flag kit from the Middlefield Historical Society. The kits are $20 and include a 3x5 flag, pole and eagle. Call 860-349-0665.
5. Become a Member Are you interested in Durham's history? Become a member of the town's Historical Society today. New members are always welcome!