Schools in District 13 are doing their part to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Strong School is collecting items and donations through the end of the school day on Friday to send to organizations helping the victims, while Coginchaug High School is collecting donations to give to a food bank in the affected area.
The following items are needed:
- Baby items: diapers, wipes, formula
- Toiletries: tooth brushes, tooth paste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, shaving needs
- Warm clothing: sweaters, sweatshirts, coats, jackets, hats scarves, etc.
- Cash/Checks: If you would like to make a monetary donation by check, please make it payable to Strong School.
- Any and all donations from the community are welcome, including non-perishable food items.
On Wednesday, Connecticut Light and Power announced that the company's restoration efforts in the wake of Hurricane Sandy had wrapped up, but that more than a thousand customers were still without power as a result of the storm's damage.
Estimates have put the storm's damage toll at $50 billion.