Lucy Petrella – Candidate for First Selectman
- Resident of Middlefield for 24 years
- Current member of the Board of Finance; 15 years on Planning and Zoning Boards
- Retired teacher; treasurer and union negotiator teacher’s union for 15 years
- Active volunteer in the community and with St. Colman’s Church
- Married to Frank, two children and two grandchildren
Personal statement: I am running for First Selectman because I believe Middlefield/Rockfall needs a proactive leader. As I have gone door-to-door, I have heard the dissatisfaction of residents who love the unique character of our town and know that we can be doing more to make it an even better community. From simple things like repairing roads or protecting our children and pedestrians from speeding cars to more complex issues like the reopening of Powder Ridge, Middlefield needs strong, practical leadership. I am that candidate and I ask you to give me the opportunity to serve you.
Dave Burgess – Candidate for Selectman
- Resident of Middlefield for 24 years
- Board of Finance Member 2001-2005; Town Treasurer 1997-1999
- Social worker, State of Connecticut Department of Developmental Services for 26 years
- Married to Christine for 23 years
- Charter Revision Committee member
Personal statement: As a member of the Board of Selectman, I want to be your voice. A trained social worker, I have dedicated my life to listening to others and seeking ways to resolve the challenges they are facing. I will bring that same commitment to the Board of Selectman. As a former Town Treasurer and Board of Finance Member, I understand the unique fiscal challenges our community is facing. Every decision I make will be based on what I believe are in the best interests of you, your family, and the Town. I look forward to the opportunity to represent you.
Alice Malcolm – Candidate for Board of Finance (I)
- Middlefield native
- Attended Southern Connecticut State University and the University of Connecticut
- Employed at St. Pius X
- Current member Board of Finance
Personal statement: I have enjoyed my work on the Board of Finance and am looking forward to continuing my service. I am seeking re-election because I want to make a difference in my community. I have spent nearly all my life in Middlefield. I love this town and its residents and I am proud to be a part of our local government. The Board of Finance has tackled some difficult challenges and I have worked hard to make sure that every tax dollar is spent wisely and efficiently. I hope that my past service has earned your support for another term.
Jim Irish – Candidate for Board of Finance
- Resident of Middlefield for 4 years
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, MBA dual focus in finance and marketing
- Project leader at United Technologies Research Center
- Married to Lisa for 38 years, two children
- Active volunteer with the Boy Scouts, Special Olympics, United Way and Habitat for Humanity
Personal statement: As a new resident to Middlefield, I have been looking to get more involved with the community. So when I was asked about my interest in running for the Board of Finance I was excited about the opportunity it presented. With my educational background, an MBA in marketing and finance, as well as my experience as a project leader at United Technologies Research Center, I believe my skills will be an asset on the Board. With responsible, balanced budgeting we can improve the quality of our services and enrich our community. I appreciate your consideration and ask for your support.
Mary Wolak – Candidate for Board of Finance
- Resident of Middlefield for 23 years
- Rehabilitation Therapy Supervisor, Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, 26 years
- Experience in budgeting for public institutions
- Married to Frank, two children
- Volunteer activities include Boy Scouts Troop 33, Middlefield Women’s Club, and St. Colman’s Church Choir
Personal statement: I am running for the Board of Finance because we can do better utilizing our tax dollars to benefit our community. As a rehabilitation therapy supervisor, I am responsible for developing and implementing a budget. To enrich my own knowledge about budgeting, I took classes at UCONN that focused on budgeting for public institutions such as local municipalities. I have lived in Rockfall for more than twenty years, raising my family and volunteering in the community. I hope to use the skills that I have developed to make a difference in our town government. I ask for your support.
Anne Olszewski – Candidate for Tax Collector (I)
- Resident of Middlefield for 35 years
- Current Tax Collector
- Certified tax collector
- Married to Pat, two children and one grandchild
- Active volunteer in the community
Personal statement: I have been honored by the trust you have placed in me as your Tax Collector. It is a fulfilling job and I am proud to be making a contribution to our community every day. I am running for re-election and hope that I can count on your continued support.
Donna Golub – Candidate Town Clerk (I)
- Resident of Middlefield for 34 years
- Current Town Clerk; also serves as Registrar of Vital Statistics and Assistant Treasurer
- Has secured $60,000 in state grants to preserve town’s historical records
- Married to Rich, two children and one grandchild
- Member Middlesex County Town Clerks Association, Connecticut Clerks Association, Middlesex Hospital Vocal Chords
Personal statement: I enjoy serving my community in my role as Town Clerk. I have worked to modernize our office and bring it into the 21st Century. I have sought and received grant funding to protect and preserve the historical records of Middlefield and Rockfall. To date, this funding has allowed us to scan and index the Town’s survey maps as well as begin the process of indexing other records including land records and the Board of Selectman minutes. I want to continue this project and more. I hope that my past service has earned your trust and support for my re-election.
Ellen Waff – Candidate for Treasurer
- Resident of Middlefield for 10 years
- Former Member/Chair Board of Finance, Assistant Tax Collector
- Married to Bill for 48 years, three children
- Small business owner
- Currently the Treasurer of an international organization and President of a 501(c)3 charitable corporation, St. Andrews Society of Connecticut
Personal statement: I have served as Assistant Tax Collector for Middlefield/Rockfall, and spent four years as a member of the Board of Finance, two of those as its Chair. I am now running for Town Treasurer. As Treasurer, one of my goals will be to bring the Town’s financial accounts into the electronic age in a secure format. Our tax records are currently handled with a user-friendly, accurate computer program and I would like to see all town finances managed in a similar way. It would be a privilege to serve you as Town Treasurer and I ask for your support.
Mark Myjak – Candidate for Board of Assessment Appeals (I)
- Middlefield native
- Electrical engineer
- Member Board of Assessment Appeals for 10 years
- Married with one child
Personal statement: I know what it is to pay taxes in Middlefield and I understand how challenging it can be for families. Most people don’t know that under Connecticut State Law, a citizen in any municipality has the right to contest and be heard regarding their property assessment. As a member of the board, I see to it that a property owner gets a fair shake at the town. I have been on the BAA for 10 years and I am running again because I enjoy being the conduit - aiding the citizens of Middlefield in their property tax grievances.