Coginchaug High School was briefly evacuated Monday morning after a staff member noticed smoke coming from a work room on the school's second floor.
Firefighters with the Durham Volunteer Fire Company responded to the school shortly after 7:30 a.m. and discovered that the smoke was coming from a piece of malfunctioning equipment in the room, Principal Andre Hauser said.
Once firefighters determined the building was safe to re-enter, students were brought into the gym to stay warm. Students were allowed back in their classrooms at 8:05 a.m. after firefighters determined that air quality throughout the school was safe, Hauser said.
"I am proud of the responsible and cooperative students and staff of CRHS, who all did a great job in a stressful situation this morning, and appreciative of the help of the Durham Volunteer Fire Company in keeping us all safe," Hauser said.