1. What’s the Weather? Today will start and end with showers. According to Weather.com, there’s a 30 percent chance of rain. Temperatures aren’t likely to get much higher than 58 degrees with an overnight low of 53 degrees.
2. Victor at the Capitol: (D-Durham, Middlefield and Middletown) honored Victor Wu of Durham, who received the Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship, in the House Chamber at
3. In Case You Missed It: This week, Killingworth residents got their first look at achitectural drawings of the to Town Hall but if you couldn't make it to the meeting, the renderings are on display at and posted on Patch today.
The May 1 meeting was just the first step in the process but First Selectwoman Catherine Iino says she’d like to get things in motion by June. The next step will be for the Board of Finance to review the proposal then, if members approve it, there’ll be a town meeting on the topic. Lastly, the Board of Selectmen will take up the matter and set a date for a
The final decision will rest in the hands of Killingworth residents, who will need to approve spending for the new construction. If voters give the project the thumbs up, the Town Hall Building Committee thinks the construction should move along pretty swiftly.
“We would like to see a 14 to 16 month turnaround from go-ahead to finish,” says Building Committee member George Keithan.
4. Ready for a Fresh Start? The weather may have been a bit dreary this week but you won’t hear local farmers complaining about the rain, and you might not either when you see what it’s done for local produce. The opens today at 3 p.m. on the Durham Green, so stop by and pick up something fresh for dinner!
5. This day in history: On this date in 1980, 13-year-old Cari Lightner was killed by a drunk driver in California. The tragedy inspired her mother, Candy Lightner, to found Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). At the invitation of President Ronald Reagan, Lightner served on the National Commission on Drunk Driving, which recommended raising the drinking age to 21 and revoking the driver’s license of anyone caught driving under the influence of alcohol.