1. What's the Weather? Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Tonight: Showers likely, with thunderstorms also possible and a low around 59. Forecast provided by the National Weather Service.
2. Strawberries, Yum! On Thursday, Lyman Orchards kicked off the Pick-Your-Own season by opening fields of summer’s first fruit – fresh, ripe strawberries. The mild winter weather this year brought these fruits to full ripeness about two weeks earlier than normal. And this year, Lyman Orchards has a bountiful crop.
Interested strawberry pickers should call the Pick-Your-Own Hotline at 860-349-6015 for up-to-the-minute information on picking times. They can also sign up for Lyman’s Pick-Your-Own e-mail updates at lymanorchards.com and be notified when other fruits are ready for picking throughout the season.
Don't miss Strawberry Fest and the Grand Opening of the new Golf Center and Apple Nine course on June 16. These events will both be celebrated with special activities and plenty of free taste treats. Both events begin at 10 a.m.
3. Open the Curtain! The John Lyman Parents Association is proud to present "Aristocats Kids." The cast is made up of students from first through eighth grades.
Showtimes are: Friday, June 1 at 7 p.m., Saturday June 2 at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m., and Sunday June 3 at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. at .
Tickets are $7 and available now at showtix4u.com under the keyword Middlefield. There will be concessions.
4. Inflatable Swimming Pool Alert From the town of Durham Building Dept.: Inflatable swimming pools which can contain water over twenty four inches deep is a relatively new product which has been available to the Connecticut Consumer. Surprisingly these must have fences surrounding them. All pools that are designed to hold more than 24 inches of water must comply with all the applicable codes of a full sized pool. The $179.00 kiddie pool being sold at the local "BIG BOX" may require a fence , gate and alarm that will cost three times the purchase price of the pool. The key here is the amount of water the pool was designed to hold, if it is in excess of 24 inches you must treat it like a large above ground or in ground pool. The pool you purchased that holds 18 inches of water is not subject to these regulations.
Last season many families purchased these $179.00 pools and realized after the fact the regulations and had no choice but to return them to the seller because it would far exceed their budget for this seemingly low cost adventure.
Please contact the Durham Building Dept. if you need more information on pools. 860-349-8253.
5. Calling All Businesses There is one more week available to apply for the Summer Youth Employment Program. Click here for the application and details of eligibility. Please call Laura Francis 860 349-3625 or Elizabeth Shoudy at 860 349-7110 for more information.