1. What's the Weather? The National Weather Service is calling for scattered showers and a possible afternoon thunderstorm, with a high near 86. Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66.
2. In Case You Missed It We've gotten a lot of clicks on our Coginchaug prom photo gallery. We also put together a short video to music. The Coginchaug girls softball team defeated Haddam Killingworth 5-4 on Sunday to win the Shoreline Conference title. You can read a . On Sunday, Durham firefighters at a bell factory in East Hampton.
3. Transfer Station Open The Durham-Middlefield Transfer Station is open today from 8 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.
4. Parent Volunteers Wanted We found this on the Coginchaug Project Graduation Facebook page: Looking for a couple of senior parents who plan to attend the send-off for Project Grad. Need some help with set-up and clean-up. Any volunteers? Follow the link if you can help.
5. Killingworth Trails Day Reminder This year’s Trails Day event on June 2 will take place on the Killingworth Land Conservation Trust's Winkel Pond Trail. Newly improved by Boy Scout Brendan Walsh, the walk will take place at 9:30 a.m., lasting about an hour.
Letterboxing will be demonstrated along the way, and refreshments and socializing will follow. The trek is family-friendly with one short climb, and dogs are welcome on a leash. Total walk length is about a mile – the original half-mile loop around the pond, plus the new quarter-mile spur, round-trip one half mile. We will circle the pond, cross a stream pass a cave area, and follow to where the trail joins the Congregational Church trail system. Part of the trail is along old chestnut fencing remnants.
Heavy rain will postpone the event until the same time Sunday morning. Sturdy walking shoes and water are recommended. Parking will be at the former Pharmedica building on Route 80 – the Winkel property is just to the east of that parking area; the trail entrance is between the Pharmedica and Country Squire locations. Contact Debby Butler (860-663-2231, 203-415-3440) to let us know you may attend, or with any questions.