1. What's the Weather? Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. Winds reaching 10 to 17 mph. Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 25.
2. The Selectmen's Winter Warm Up Party will take place on January 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Middletown Elks Lodge on Maynard Street, Middletown. Tickets will be $25.00 per person and will include a buffet dinner, DJ and cash bar. More information about ticket sales will be forthcoming. Save the date and start to gather your friends for a fun night for a good cause!
The fundraiser will benefit local families in need of fuel assistance.
3. Hold Up Your Candles Singer, songwriter Art DeNicholas of Durham has written a song dedicated to the victims, families and first responders in the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy.
The name of the song is Candles. Click on the video to the right to listen.
4. Christmas Tree Pick-Up If you hadn't already planned to, consider asking the Boy Scouts from Troop 270 in Durham to pick up your Christmas tree when the holidays are over. Donations are greatly appreciated!
Simply email at Troop270DurhamCT@aol.com or call (860) 349-2370 to schedule your pick-up.
Pick-up dates are: Saturday, December 29, or January 5th & 12th.
5. Share the Light for Sandy Hook Elementary In Your Home From our friends at the Durham Middlefield Youth and Family Services:
On the evening of December 24th we invite you to light one luminary or candle to represent all who were lost or 27 luminaries/candles to represent each life lost. Place your "light" on your front steps for the evening. The luminarias and candles you provide will honor all whose lives were lost at Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14th and provide a tangible way to recognize them on such an important evening in our culture.
Together we will create a growing movement of support and be the light for those in Newtown, CT.
All are welcome to join and there are no costs associated with this event. By participating in this tangible show of support adults and children alike will find comfort for themselves during this difficult time. We hope you join us.