1. What's the Weather? Sunny, with a high near 81. North wind 5 to 13 mph. Tonight: Clear, with a low around 49. (WOW, look at that overnight low!!)
2. Durham Public Works Building Update It's been a year since to build a new Public Works facility but the building has yet to be completed.
Town officials said Monday that unexpected delays had pushed completion of the project back but indicated that the building would be finished soon.
"It will be functional during the winter," said Public Works Director Kurt Bober.
A committee overseeing the project gathered at the site of the new building at 20 Cream Pot Road on Monday to review the progress of construction. During the meeting, workers nearby were pouring a cement pad.
Regardless of the delays, Bober said the new facility will benefit Durham residents.
"By having a complete winter supply of material, that's going to save man power. It's going to save our crew from having to spend time mixing it. Being able to keep equipment inside, instead of outside will save on maintenance," he said.
3. Middlefield Historical Society to Re-Open Doors Next Month After a three-year hiatus, the Middlefield Historical Society is scheduled to meet on Thursday, September 6. The meeting will be held at 10 a.m. at the Community Center (the MHS is located near the kitchen).
The meeting will feature guest speaker Rich Malley, Curator of the Connecticut Historical Society. The meeting is open to the public. Membership to the MHS is $10 per year.
For more information call 860-349-8465 or Lynette Brayshaw at 860-349-8465
4. Durham Library Fall Programs Registration for our Fall children's programs begins on Tuesday, September 4th. Programs include Preschool Story Time, Book Discussions, and new this year, a LEGO Club! If you have any questions, call 860-349-9544.
5. Booo! Save the Date This from our friends at the Levi E. Coe Library:
Levi E. Coe Library Presents
An Author Talk and Signing by Sydney Sherman,
of the CT Ghost Hunters on her new book:
You are Not Alone: Our Loved Ones are Here... You're Just Not Listening
Where: Middlefield Community Center,
405 Main Street, Middelfield, CT
When: Saturday, November 3, 2012
All are welcome to enjoy this Book Talk. Due to limited seating, registration is strongly recommended. Please call 860-349-3857 to reserve your seat or for additional information. We'll see you there!