1. What's the Weather? A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 79. Tonight: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a low around 69.
2. Don't Forget to Take Out the Trash The Durham-Middlefield Transfer Station will be open on today from 8 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.
3. Got Vegetables? Students at John Lyman Elementary School will collect homegrown vegetables and fruits on Thursday to deliver to the residents of Sugarloaf Senior Housing in Middlefield and Mauro Meadows in Durham.
Produce may be dropped off in the boxes in the John Lyman School lobby between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Donations from the community are welcome.
4. Lake Beseck Gets a New Fence Starting Tuesday morning, the chainlink fence at Lake Beseck Beach will be removed.
It will be replaced with a decorative wood guard rail style fence that is commonly found at parks. Chain link fencing will remain bordering the immediate kiddie play area due to concern raised with tots potentially straying from the play area and wondering off into the road.
5. What's Cookin'? It's a book club for foodies! If you love to cook and you love cookbooks, then join the Durham Public Library for an informal cookbook discussion. You'll choose a recipe, share it, and then discuss it.
The group will meet on Wednesdays, 7:00-8:00pm, on September 12th, October 17th, November 14th, and December 12th. AGES 18 and up. Registration is required. The first book will be Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking, by Mario Batali. Copies of the book are available at the front desk.