Adult Education can help you accomplish your goals. Applicants are being enrolled now in the National External Diploma Program. The NEDP is an experience-based program for mature adults who have been away from the classroom for a while. It incorporates a person’s life experiences, from family to work, into activity-oriented tasks designed to meet certain basic competencies. It is a complete system that enables adults to demonstrate skills for which a high school diploma is awarded.
The External Diploma Program was created to provide competent adults with an alternative method of receiving recognition for the skills they already possess and use. The need for an alternative process arose when it became clear that traditional methods of testing were not always appropriate or adequate for adults with testing anxiety or those who had been out of school for many years.
Some of the ways the EDP differs from more traditional high school programs include:
- Recognizing and rewarding the success achieved through practical life experiences
- Awarding credit for what adults already know while allowing them to learn what they do not know
- Ensuring confidentiality
- Classes are free and offered day and evening
- Flexible scheduling - work at home and attend class as little as once a week
- Satisfying requirements in as little as one semester
- Awarding a traditional high school diploma
This nationally accredited program is staffed by experienced, certified teachers. Diplomas are issued by the Middletown Board of Education, and approved by the Connecticut State Board of Education. Many clients continue on to college or a vocational training program upon graduation.
We are open days and evenings and have locations at 398 Main Street, Middletown and 210 Main Street, Old Saybrook. Call 860-343-6048 for more information or visit our website at www.maect.org.